Tour de France U Tube Video - Three Minute Complete Tour

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

For Bicycle Techno-Geeks - Others Do Not Read

So, what does one need for a ride like this?  It is rather puzzling how little information there is on the actual machinery running the race.  Yes, there's the Cervelos, the Treks, the Cannondales, and every other fancy bicycle out there, all space age composites, now;  my aluminum steed is a throwback to the 20th Century.  But, the frame is not the game.  Not really..I wanted to know what kind of gearing these guys were using, and that is very difficult information to come by.  Never did really find it.  Are they running triples on the mountain stages?  How big is big on those rear cassettes?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Well...I didn't find out so I had to draw my own conclusions.  I am running with a compact crank - 50-34.  My bike came with a 50-36, but that 36 just wasn't enough for the hills around Issaquah/Redmond, so I moved to a 34.  In the rear I have been running a pretty standard 12-25 10 sprocket cassette.  Campagnola for me, started out that way, like their derailleurs, never thought about switching to Shimano.  Habit.  Both work fine.  But, there's a lot of climbing on this trip.  So my intention is to switch to a 13-29 range rear cassette for the mountain stages with more than 7,000' of climb (and there are a few of those).  That should allow me a little flexibility in terms of increasing rpms vs. just muscling up the hills.  I am taking a total of three cassettes along to have lots of spare parts in case a sprocket or two starts to wear out and I start to get chain hopping.

I am also starting out with one new chain and one extra new chain in reserve.  Also two good tires with two new tires in reserve.  Four spare tubes, plus a patch kit.

For tools I am taking a chain whip and cassette removal tool, pliers, crescent small torque wrench set, several screw drivers, 12" ruler to measure chain wear, chain rivet removal tool, cable cutter/crimper, standard hex set tool.

I am taking a high quality hand pump that will pump up to about 140 psi.  I'm also taking a full size floor pump. I debated long and hard on this one, but it's just too much to expect a little hand pump to do the job of starting you out with proper pressure every day.  I'm also carrying an electronic pressure gauge, since it is really difficult to tell by hand out in the field after a flat repair, exactly how much air you've pumped into your tires.  Usually, too little, which leads to pinch flats and more potential tube damage.

I have a wonderful little Trek bicycle computer, the type that measures both speed and cadence.  I never purchased the cadence module.  Not a very strong believer in measuring cadence.  Think you pretty much know when you can't crank out more rpm's, and if you're not sweating, you're not cranking out enough rpms.  That's about all I think you need to know.

For this trip I am also carrying a Garmin Edge 605.  We have the tracks for all the Tour stages, so this little beauty will, hopefully, keep us on the route all the time.  Just follow the magenta line.  Of course, we had to purchase the European Map module, the standard map just does not have enough detail.  One of the frustrations planning this trip has been  dealing with the Garmin toys, their manuals, directions, and general information, which are, at best, limited.  You have to spend some time with these things to understand what they can and cannot do.  No amount of reading will do.

Okay, I think that's enough techno-geek for now.  Let's focus in the future on having fun on the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment